Sunday 13 October 2013

A Clockwork Orange

13/10/2013

So, I was going to do a post about...aww hell I can't even remember now, this is awkward.

But, A Clockwork Orange.

I might just have to buy that hat, just saying...


 I would post more pictures, but I want to keep this blog work friendly, and since my friend's hipster blog is blocked by our highschool, I cannot show you the "very important work of art" (read: dick and ass sculpture that spoiler spoiler spoiler, spoiler spoiler spoiler)

Did I really just reference Will Wheaton's podcast, Radio Free Burrito? I guess I did.  

Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell seems to be a total sex/violence maniac in the movie (hey all you film buffs, insert caligula drunk face references here...) and gets "cured" = becomes sick from sex and violence. But, as he becomes a social outcast, his life becomes miserable. He throws himself off the roof of a house, and somehow, becomes cured of the "cure". And then the movie ends.

I just watched this flick the other day, and while I love the costumes in this movie, I was a little more enthralled by the ethics of the "Cure". I could also get into the parallels that this movie has with Swing Kids, and the Nazi implications of the prison sentence that Alex has to serve. But that will come next week.

So, ethics: (I'm just gonna list these because, because I can. That's why.)

1. Because the cure turns him off from sex, can he ever truely love another person? Can he ever be in a relationship?

2. When he gets out of prison, he is a social outcast, even his own parents can't stand him being in their home...what does that say about people getting out of prison in our society?

3. Is it really fair to put a teenage boy in prison with murderers and pedophiles? Just saying, Sleepers this is not.

4. The only one that is really attacked in the film, so to speak. The films Alex is forced to watch are often accompanied by Beethoven, and therefore his brain associates them with violence. Should he really be turned off of one of the few, harmless things he loves? (While I don't agree with rape and murder on any level, what is wrong with classical music)
-just food for thought, watch the Brad Jones review of "rock, it's your decision". Same idea.

5.Couldn't the "treatments" be considered torture, because Alex is locked in a straight jacket with eyelid locks? When he tries to get out of prison with the treatments, he doesn't know what he's getting into, and can't get out of it once he starts them. What does this say about how we treat/treated criminals and people forcefully locked up in mental institutions? Ask me about Changeling some time.

Alright folks, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment